Having the best travel duffel bag for your needs can make or break an adventure. When you are out exploring the wilderness, you need to make sure you have the right bag to bring along with you. Today, we are going to go over what makes a great travel duffel bag. Not only that, but we have a list of some of our favorite travel duffel bags for you to consider the next time you plan on going on an adventure.
To help you choose which duffle bag will serve as the best travel duffel bag for you, we have included a handy guide. This handy guide will help you navigate through all the options out there right now. Our detailed guide will dive into all the ins and outs of what makes for the best travel duffel bag. From the material that they are made out of, to there practical uses, we have got it all for you. Let’s dive into some of our favorite and best travel duffel bags that you should consider looking into this travel season.
5 out of 5
5 out of 5
4 out of 5
4.5 out of 5
4 out of 5
5 out of 5
4.5 out of 5
Features and Befits When Choosing the Best Travel Duffel Bag
When you are shopping for the best travel duffel bag, there are some features that you need to keep in mind. Here are some of the top features that you should consider when weighing your options. Believe it or not, these are features that can make or break your purchase of the right travel for your needs.
Some of the best travel duffel bags come in a range of sizes. To figure out which one will make the best travel duffel bag for your needs, you will need to first consider what type of trip you are going on. If you are going on a short trip with limited outdoor exploration, then a small bag is for you. A small duffel bag will allow you to take just what you need and nothing more. On the other hand, if you are looking to go on a long outdoor adventure, then you will need to think a little bigger. Medium sized and large sized duffle bags will help ensure that you will have everything you need.
Not all duffel bags are made alike. This is especially true when it comes to organization. For the most part, many duffle bags only offer a main large compartment. There may even be a smaller sized compartment for your convenience too. While this might work for some, you will need to think about it carefully. Oftentimes, if your duffle bag is your sole piece of luggage, then you will need additional compartments. Compartment such as side pockets, mesh pockets, and mesh compartments, will help keep your gear nice and tidy. If you have a duffel bag with compartments on the outside, that can help ease your burden as well. Outside duffle bag compartments allow you to grab what you need easily and quickly when you are on the go. While you are shopping for your best travel duffel bag, consider how important pockets and compartments will be for you on your travels.
Straps are an important feature of any duffle bag. For many duffle bags, you may simply find two hand straps that will let you carry your duffel bag and go where you need to go. However, for a majority of duffle bags, these straps are only convenient for holding your bag via your hands and nothing else. If you need a better way to travel with your duffel bag then we suggest that you shop for duffle bags that feature shoulder straps. These are straps that will easily convert your duffel bag into a backpack. If you are out traveling hidden trails in the wilderness, then having a backpack friendly duffle bag will make your travels that much more easier.
4. Material Used
Believe it or not, the materials used in your duffle bag are really important. For starters, if you are going to be outdoors and out in harsh environments, then you will absolutely need to invest in a duffle bag that is made out of a durable material. One of the most popular types of material is nylon ripstop. Nylon ripstop will help ensure that when you trekking around, your duffel bag will not split or break apart. In addition to that, it is to your benefit to shop for waterproof duffle bags as well. Waterproofed bags will allow you to go out in many types of environments without worry.
The Brands that Make the Best Travel Duffel Bags (in Our Humble Opinion)
- checkThe North Face
Here Are Our Picks for the Best Travel Duffel Bag
1. The Patagonia Lightweight Black Hole 30 L Duffel Bag
If you live for the outdoors, then this considered to be the best travel duffle bag to take with you on your travels. The Patagonia Lightweight Black Hole 30 L Duffel Bag has everything an adventure enthusiast could want. For starters, what makes it the best travel duffle bag is the fact that it is so versatile. If you are going on an outdoor excursion then the Patagonia Duffel Bag is certainly up to the challenge of the elements. On the contrary, if you need something for more day to day routines like the gym, then this bag is perfect as well. Size wise, this is the best travel duffel bag because you can easily carry everything you need in one go. In addition to the size, the Patagonia Lightweight Black Hole 30 L Duffel Bag comes in a wide range of colors. These awesome color options allow you to find the perfect bag for your sense of travel style.
Some standout features of the Patagonia Lightweight Black Hole 30 L Duffel Bag is the fact that it is super durable. It features nylon ripstop on the outer shell. This nylon ripstop allows it to carry all your belongings without you having to fear it failing you. In addition to the nylon ripstop, there is a TPU film lining the outside as well as a DWR treatment. These extra precautions on the outer shell protect your duffle bag from accumulating or letting any moisture pass through.
Lastly, carrying options allow it to be the best travel duffel bag on the market as well. In addition to its durable webbing handles, you have the convenience of carrying around your duffle bag or wearing it as a backpack. In addition to that, travelers love that there is an internal stash pocket that easily doubles as a stuff sack as well.
Travel enthusiasts who spend a great deal of time venturing outdoors are sure to love this travel duffel bag. It offers everything you could want in a durable travel backpack that is perfect for the outdoors. Plus it doesn’t hurt that you can customize the color to your liking either!
- A lightweight and tenacious duffel for gear or travel
- TPU-film laminate and DWR treatment fend off moisture
- Nylon ripstop is very durable and protects your belongings well
- checkWebbing handles can be worn as a backpack or over the shoulder
- checkConvertible carry options including backpack carry
- checkOffers 30 L in volume (1831 cu in)
- checkInternal stash pocket that doubles as a stuff sack
- checkQuick access to your gear via the diagonal zipper provides
- checkMicro daisy chain doubles as lash points
- plus Mandmade material
- plus Multi directional lugs
- plusCold weather boots
- plusPremium upper
- plusEVA cushioned footbed
- close Rugged look may not be favorable to some
2. Patagonia Black Hole 45 L Duffel Bag
If you loved the Patagonia Lightweight Black Hole 30 L Duffel Bag, but you needed a little bit more durability and space, then this next duffle bag is the perfect option to go with. The Patagonia Black Hole 45 L Duffel Bag is easily the best travel duffle bag on the market right. This is simply because it has so much to offer. When it comes to durability, this is one of the best duffle bags that you should not ignore.
It is pretty evident from the design of this duffel bag that the inspiration is in line with a rugged and outdoorsy bag. The amount of space that this bag offers enables you to carry virtually all your belongings with ease. Not only that, but you do not have to worry about the failure of your duffle bag because it is backed by such a reputable brand. The Patagonia Black Hole 45 L Duffel Bag boast a burly ripstop fabric that is coated with a water repellent laminate. Not only will the fabric never fail you, but you can go out and explore rugged, dusty, and moist environments without having to worry about your belongings.
In addition to that, the 45 liter capacity is perfect for carrying along everything you need and more. You can stuff away your climbing and hiking gear and not have to think twice about whether or not you will have room. When it comes to organizing all your belongings, travelers will love that the inside is super roomy. Thanks to the inside compartments, and zippered mesh pockets, you can pack along small items and store them nicely and safely in your duffle bag. In addition to that, external side pockets are perfect for storing stuff such as your favorite water bottle. (Which will come in handy as you hike). Store personal items and snacks and reach them with ease thanks to these external side pockets.
Lastly, another highlighting feature of the Patagonia Black Hole 45 L Duffel Bag is the fact that it is super comfortable. For starters, there is a padded base on the bottom. This base not only helps the bag keep its shape, but it offers a sense of protection for your gear when you are trekking around. You can be sure that everything will stay in its place. In addition to the padded base, travelers are sure to love the compression straps that the bag offers. The compression straps are a great way to keep your gear from bouncing up and down when you are on a high endurance activity.
- Burly polyester ripstop with highly weather-resistant TPU-film laminate and a DWR (durable water repellent) finish
- Padded, removable shoulder straps for a backpack carrying option and reinforced haul handles for easy carrying
- Large opening to main compartment, zippered side pocket, mesh pockets in lid; stuffs into its own pocket for easy storage
- Padded base protects your personal belongings
- 765 g (1 lb 11 oz.), 19 x10 x10.25, 45L (2746 cu in)
- plus Durable build
- plus Versatile
- plusGreat for long distance hikes
- plusGreat organization options
- plusBacked by a trusted brand
- close None
3. Filson Field Duffel Bag
If you are traveling for leisure and need a duffel bag to reflect that, then this next duffel bag is a great one to consider. One of the best travel duffle bag on the market right now is the Filson Field Duffel Bag. The Filson Field Duffel Bag is great for so many reasons.
For starters, it is a great duffle bag option to go with if the overall rugged and outdoorsy look like your typical duffle bag is something that you want to avoid. The look of the Filson Field Duffle Bag is a splash of casual mixed with a hint of class. This looks it why many travels consider it to be the best travel duffel bag yet. Gone are the days of obvious zippers an outdoor geared materials. Instead, the Filson Field offers a sleek design that is perfect for someone who likes to travel with a sense of style.
There are several reasons that the Filson Field is the best travel duffel bag yet. For starters, this quality product was made in the US. Not only that, but it is made with a hundred percent nylon. The inside of this duffel bag is also lined with nylon as well. This durable material allows you to wipe or brush off any dirt or stains with ease. Not only that, but this durable outside layer also features abrasion-resistant and water repellent fabric. Although this bag was designed to not get dirty easy, you should rest well knowing that you can easily clean it off if it does.
The inside of the Filson Field Duffle Bag is perfect for keeping all your belongings organized. There are plenty of main compartments on the inside for you to pack away your belongings in. If you need to put objects in easy to reach places, then you are sure to love the external storage compartments as well. The two side pockets make fur an easy grab and go feature when you are getting ready to hop on or off of a plane.
Lastly, the nylon webbing shoulder straps and handles make carrying this duffle bag around about a breeze. For a great duffle bag that withstands the test of style and durability, the Filson Field duffle bag is a great option to go with. If you decide that you love this bag, then you might also love its brother, the Filson Weekender Bag. click here to take a closer look at it.
- Nylon outer shell and nylon lining are both very durable and protect your belongings well
- Made in USA
- Sleek and stylish design available is a range of sizes
- checkSpacious main compartment with zippered closure.
- checkRugged duffel made of abrasion resistant and water repellent fabric.
- checkWipe or brush clean
- checkTwo stow pockets for added organization.
- checkSturdy, quick-drying nylon webbing shoulder strap and handles
- checkMeasurements: Bottom Width: 24 in Middle Width: 24 in Top Width: 24 in Depth: 12 in Height: 15 in Strap Length: 56 in Strap Drop: 24 in Handle Length: 29 in Handle Drop: 13 in Weight: 2 lbs 3 oz
- plus Elegant and stylish look
- plus Versatile
- plus Great organizational construction
- plus Durable construction
- plus Great for working travelers
- plusAvailable in a range of sizes (ex: small and medium)
- close Price point
4. Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler Rolling Duffel Bag
Who doesn’t love a great duffle bag that offers of versatile approach the carrying ability? This next duffle bag is one of the best travel duffel bags if lugging around your belongings tends to be a common theme in your travels. The Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler Rolling Duffel Bag is considered to be the best travel duffle bag by travelers all across the globe.
One of the main stand up features that makes this duffle bag worth the investment is that fact that it features wheels. Along with its easy to use top pull handle, you can tote around your belongings simply by pulling it. This eliminates the need of having to carry around your belongings day after day. In addition to wheeling around your belongings, there are three other versatile ways to carry around your duffel bag. The removable backpack straps allow you to carry it just as you would a regular travel backpack. There are also durable strap pull handles as well as a side grab handles for carrying. ANd if you are one to travel around in a vehicle, you will love this feature. There are six heavy duty latch points that allow you to easily secure your duffle bag to any roof rack with ease.
When it comes to the overall look of the Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler, you can expect to be met with a rugged look. This rugged look is perfect for any outdoor lover. Not only that, but this rugged look is available in a range of color options including orange red blue and gray. These color options allow you to easily customize your travel back to your needs.
Lastly, travelers love that this is one of the best duffle bags for organization. There is plenty of interior pockets to store all your belongings in. In addition to that, there is a great stuff pouch that will easily pack away your duffle bag when you roll it and tuck it in. Your duffle bag will also come with a stuff sack that is perfect for stuffing away any dirty clothes or belongings while you are out on the trail too. It is all these main features that have allowed the Eagle Creek Cargo bag to be the best travel duffel bag on the market right now. Considering this option is simply one of the best investments to make when you are shopping around for the best travel duffel bag.
- Offers a capacity of 120 liters
- Exterior is made of durable, water repellent coated Bi-Tech Armor Lite fabric with bartack reinforcement on all high stress points for a high strength to weight ratio
- checkFeatures removable backpack straps, padded top haul handles, side grab handle or sturdy top pull handle for easy mobility no matter where your travels take you
- checkSix heavy-duty lash points securely attach this extra large luggage to your car’s roof rack
- checkExterior zippers are lockable with reflective finger loop pulls
- checkStuff sack for easy storage
- checkSize and weight: 32 x 13.5 x 15.75 in, 120 L, weighs at 4 lb
- plus Super Lightweight
- plus Great grip on hand straps
- plusDurable and versatile
- plusWheels make for easy navigation
- close None
5. YETI Panga Airtight, Waterproof, and Submersible Duffle Bag
The popular brand YETI has made a splash in the travel scene over the past couple of years. It seems that every product that they have put out is a stand out addition to any travelers gear. The YETI Panga Duffel Bag is no exception. Travelers all around are absolutely in love with this double bag. And with all that it has to offer, why wouldn’t it be?
The standout features of the duffle bag include the fact that it is airtight, waterproof, and submersible. It really does not matter what type of adventure you are on, this duffle bag is sure to withstand it all. If you are someone who does a lot of water activities, then this is perhaps the best travel duffel bag to bring with you. Not only that, but this best travel duffel bag will easily pack onto any kayak or another water vehicle with ease. You will not have to worry about your belongings getting wet or destroyed.
In addition to that, this duffle bag is 100% airtight and submergible. Whether you dunk it in the water on accident or take it down with you on purpose, you will not have to worry. Water will not infiltrate the bag and your belongings will stay nice and dry. And of course, because it is airtight, you do not have to worry about dirt or debris getting into your pack when you are out exploring trails. With all the features that this awesome duffel bag has to offer, it is no wonder why many consider it to be the best travel duffle bag around. You certainly get your bang for your buck when you invest in the YETI Panga.
- 100% duffel keeps everything secure and dry while on your travels
- Hydrolok zipper makes sure water stays out so your gear stays bone-dry, no matter how torrential it gets.
- U-dock the terminal end of your hydrolok zipper that ensures a completely airtight seal
- checkThickskin shell made of high-density nylon and thick tpu lamination to be puncture- and abrasion-resistant
- checkDryhaul straps in the hands or on the back, they’re as durable as they are comfortable
- checkMetallock hardware this hardware can take on smacks and whacks without breaking
- plus Lightweight
- plus Waterproof
- plusGreat insulation
- plusDurable for all your travels
- plusSleek design
- plusTrusted brand
- close Prise point
6. The North Face Base Camp Duffel Bag
If you are a traveler who is in search of the best travel duffel bag without all the bells and whistles, then this bag is for you. The North Face Base Camp Duffel Bag is perfect for all your travel needs. One of the winning features about this duffel bag is the fact that it is so incredibly versatile. You can take it with you hiking, camping, to the gym, and virtually any other adventure with ease. It easily translates from an indoor bag to an outdoor bag without much hassle.
What we love about this travel bag is that it features an end cap zippered compartments. This neat zipper compartment allows you to separate your dirty clothes from your clean clothes. You can even separate hiking shoes from all your other belongings too. Lastly, this neat zipper compartment helps you stay organized without having to sacrifice any space either.
Speaking of space, organization is super easy with this duffel bag. There are mesh sleeve pockets and end cap compartments that will allow you to stow everything away right where you want it. That way, you do not have to spend time searching for your gear when you are out on the trail.
The North Face Base Camp Duffel Bag is also the best travel duffel bag if you are going on a long adventure. It features super comfortable handles so that you can carry it without fuss. Not only that, but the shoulder straps will allow you to carry the bag with you on your back. Along with that, they are detachable, adjustable, and feature an alpine cut. It has never been easier to travel around with a great duffel bag carrying all your gear.
- 1000D phthalate-free TPE fabric laminate
- New end cap zippered compartment allows you to separate wet clothes, dirty shoes or extra gear without sacrificing volume
- checkMesh sleeve pocket in end-cap compartment for additional organization
- checkDetachable, adjustable, alpine-cut shoulder straps have been updated for a more ergonomic fit and to minimize twisting
- checkNew padded side handles serve as both duffel carry handles and haul handles
- checkD-zip opening with a weather-resistant zipper flap
- checkSizing: 71 cm high and 40 cm wide
- plus Lightweight and durable
- plus Comfortable fit
- plus Perfect for a range of travelers
- plus Great price point
- plusTrusted brand
- close Not stylish
7. Polare Mens Genuine Leather Duffel Bag
If you love a great travel duffel bag, but do not like the overall look of them, then this bag might be for you. The Polare Mens Genuine Leather Duffel Bag takes the overall function of a travel duffel bag and it makes it more practical. This is especially great for the style conscious traveler.
What makes the Polare Mens Genuine Leather Duffel Bag so great is the fact that you can travel around with absolute style. Not only that, but you do not need to compromise the practicality of a good duffel bag to do so. The Polare Mens Genuine Leather Duffel Bag is one of those great bags that does this without a hitch.
Lastly, we have to touch on what makes this duffel bag one of the best. It is made with only the top quality leather. This material is what makes it such a valuable buy. The best part is the fact that this high quality leather only gets better with age!
- Makes for the best travel duffle bag for working travelers
- Made of natural thick Italian full grain cowhide genuine leather
- Strong stitching, handcrafted by professional artisans for long lasting durability that looks better with age
- Shoulder straps and handle for use as a weekender bag or gym bag
- checkWeight: 3.75lb/1.7kg.
- checkOne year manufacturer’s quality warranty
- plus Stylish
- plus Comfortable to wear
- plusGerat storage
- plusHigh quality material
- plusMultifunctional carrying options
- plusDifferent size options
- close Not appropriate for outdoor adventures
- close Price point
Check out these other travel products and tips for easy storage when traveling:
- The Best Travel Bag: Top Picks for Your Next Adventure
- Are Packing Cubes Worth It? Here’s What We Think
- Packing Cubes Vs. Compression Bags: Here’s All You Need to Know
Related Article: Best Rolling Duffle Bag Styles for Frequent Travelers