Are you interested in lowering your electric bill? If so, you may be interested in buying a portable solar charger. Solar chargers are a rather new trend that allows you to charge your phone, laptop, and other electronic devices without the need for electric. While portable solar chargers can be more expensive, they are better for the environment and they can be used anywhere as long as there is sunlight.
Portable solar chargers are an especially good investment for those who like to travel, as you can charge your phone anywhere you are. If you are shopping for the best portable solar charger, you have come to the right place. In this article, we’ll take a look at the best options available, as well as a complete guide to choosing the right one. Let’s get started!
Comparison Of The Best Portable Solar Charger
Things To Consider When Shopping For The Best Portable Solar Charger
There are many important considerations to keep in mind when shopping for the best portable solar charger. Below, let’s take a look at the top considerations to keep in mind when shopping for a solar phone charger. These considerations will help you choose a portable solar charger that will fit your needs.
1. How Many Watts Do You Need?
The first consideration to ask yourself is how many watts you need. To answer this question, you will need to think about what you will be charging. A 4-5 watt charger should work fine for a simple smartphone. iPhones, however, usually charge best on a 7-watt solar charger. For iPads, you’ll probably need 15 watts of power. Consider what you plan on charging the most with your solar charger.
2. Do You Live In A Sunny Location?
The next consideration to ask yourself is if you live in a sunny location. In order for your solar charger to work, it will have to get plenty of sunlight. If you live in a rainy climate or have trees that shade your home, then a solar charger may not work for you. If you plan on traveling with your solar charger, you’ll need to consider where you are traveling to.
The number one drawback of buying a solar charger is that it can only be used on sunny days. It is always a good idea to have a backup charger in case it is cloudy out and you need to charge your phone.
3. Do You Need To Buy An Adapter?
Next, consider what you plan on charging with your solar charger. If it is a smartphone, you should be able to plug it directly into the USB port without the need for an adapter. However, other devices, such as cameras and even some iPads cannot be charged without an adapter.
4. How Many USB Connections Do You Need?
Another consideration to ask yourself is how many USB connections you need. If you plan on only charging your phone, a portable solar charger with just one USB connection will work fine for you. But if you plan on charging multiple devices at once, you’ll want a solar charger with multiple connections. All solar chargers are different, so pay careful attention to how many USB connections each one has.
5. What’s Your Budget?
Portable solar chargers are still fairly new and can be pricey. It is important that you consider what your budget is before you begin shopping for the best portable solar charger. If you are on a tight budget, you may want to consider buying a simple, cheap solar charger without many added features. The more features a solar charger has, the more expensive it will be.
6. What Type Of Portable Solar Charger Do You Want?
Another consideration is what type of portable solar charger you want. There are three main types of portable solar chargers. These types are Monocrystalline, Polycrystalline, and CIGS. Monocrystalline is heavier than the other types of solar chargers, but it lasts longer. If the weather is not cloudy, they have better efficiency than CIGS panels. The efficiency of Monocrystalline is about 22%.
The next type is CIGS, which stands for copper, indium, gallium, and selenide. This kind of portable solar charger is made of thin film solar cells. It is lighter weight than monocrystalline, but it is not as durable. Therefore, it is not recommended to use CIGS too often outdoors. CIGS panels are less efficient than monocrystalline panels. However, unlike Monocrystalline solar chargers, CIGS perform well during cloudy weather. Most CIGS solar panels have an efficiency of 16%.
The last type of portable solar chargers is Polycrystalline. Polycrystalline has an efficiency of around 18%. It is very similar to Monocrystalline panels. All in all, Monocrystalline is recommended for its durability, while CIGS is better for being portable.
Why Do I Need A Portable Solar Charger?
So, why is it important to have a portable solar charger? While this trend may sound effective, you may still be wondering why it is necessary. Well, there are many reasons why you may want to buy a portable solar charger. First, if you enjoy traveling, a solar charger allows you to charge your phone from anywhere.
It doesn’t matter if you’re hiking a trail, camping in the wilderness, or biking along a sidewalk. As long as your solar charger is in the sun, your phone and whatever other devices you have will be able to charge. Even if you don’t travel a lot, a portable solar charger can be used to cut down on your electric bill.
Even though charging your iPhone every day per year costs under a dollar, you can end up paying a lot of charge devices if you have a lot of electronics such as iPads and laptops. In addition to cutting down your electric bill, switching to a solar charger is better for the environment. Solar cells generate no emissions, waste or byproducts, unlike electricity, which pollutes the air.
Even though portable solar chargers take longer to charge your phone and can’t be used on cloudy days, they are a great investment for those who want to help the environment and save money on electricity.
Are There Any Downsides To Solar Chargers?
Unfortunately, there are a few downsides to a portable solar charger. The first downside is that they are expensive. Even though they’ll last a while and lower your electric bill, they may not work for those who are on a tight budget. Secondly, solar chargers will not charge when it is not sunny out.
If it is nighttime or cloudy out, you won’t be able to charge your phone. Some solar chargers are able to store energy so that they can be used on cloudy days. However, not all solar chargers have this feature. Another downside to solar chargers is that they take a while to charge your devices. If there is an emergency and your phone is dead, you’ll have to wait a while before it can be used again.
It will also take a while for the solar charger itself to charge, which makes the charging process even longer. If you plan on using your solar charger at home, you may not want to use it all the time. While portable solar chargers are great for camping and hiking, they may not be the most efficient.
Features Of A Portable Solar Charger
Portable solar chargers have many unique features that make them easier to use and durable enough to withstand water and dust on the trail. Here, let’s take a look at the top features of a portable solar charger. From built-in flashlights to multiple connections, these features help make charging your devices much easier and quicker.
Keep in mind that not all portable solar chargers have these features, but a lot of them do. A lot of the portable solar chargers that you’ll read about later in this article have some of these handy features.
Many portable solar chargers are water-resistant, which is a nice feature for hikers and campers who will most likely deal with wet weather on their trip. Keep in mind that being water-resistant doesn’t mean it can charge during the rain. Instead, it means that if you happen to splash water on it or drop it in the mud, you don’t have to worry about your solar charger being damaged.
Once again, this feature is great for hikers and campers who will face dust on the trail. Being dust-proof means your solar charger won’t be damaged by dirt. If you drop it in the mud or if dust blows on it, you don’t have to worry about it being damaged.
If you happen to drop your portable solar charger, you won’t have to worry about it breaking if it is shock-proof. Shock-proof means that you can drop your solar charger on the ground and it won’t become damaged.
4. Built-In Flashlight
Some solar chargers have built-in flashlights. This feature is nice for hikers, campers, and those who are trying to survive in the wilderness. Solar chargers with a built-in flashlight will usually just have one flashlight, but some will have two flashlights so that it is extra bright.
5. Built-In Compass
While this feature is not as common, some solar chargers will have a built-in compass. This feature will prevent you from getting lost when you are hiking, traveling, or camping.
6. Dual USB Connections
If you plan on charging multiple devices with your solar charger, you may want to look for a solar charger with dual USB connections. This means you can charge two devices at once instead of waiting for one to charge before you can charge the next one. Some portable solar chargers will have even more than two connections, but it is most common for them to have dual USB connections.
Obviously, another feature of portable solar chargers is their portability. Most portable solar chargers weigh a pound or less and are foldable. It can be attached to your backpack so that while you hike the solar charger will charge. You can also hang your portable solar charger on trees, on your tent, or against the side of your house.
Some portable solar chargers also come in the form of a phone case. Portable solar chargers are nice because you can easily travel with them without having to carry around heavy, bulky solar panels. Instead, you can slip the solar charger in your backpack, luggage bag, or even in your pocket, depending on the type and size that you get.
Best Portable Solar Charger Options
Now that we have taken a look at considerations and the importance of portable solar chargers, it is time to start shopping for the right one for you! Let’s dive in and take a look at the top ten best portable solar charger options available.
This first portable solar charger is made of eco-friendly silicone rubber and ABS + PC material. Its water-resistance design ensures the device functions smoothly when it’s raining. It is also shock-proof, which means it will still work properly even if you drop it. This portable solar charger comes with a hook so that you can hang it on your backpack, tent, or just about anything else.
The USB ports are well protected by rubber caps so that water doesn’t damage them. This solar charger can charge smartphones, tablets, and any other 5V USB-charged devices. It has many other useful features, including an emergency flashlight and LED indicators. Keep in mind that since this has a small solar panel, it takes longer for it to charge in the sun.
- 👍Built-in Ammeter: The ammeter of this 28w solar panel charger can measure the current real-time value. Note that the value depends on your connected devices, sunlgiht intensity and cable used. If your device has an input current of 1A (such as the iPhone), the amount of ammeter will show between 0.8A and 1A in theory.
- 👍Exclusive Smart IC Technology: With the built-in intelligence chip, our solar phone charger detects your device then deliver its fastest possible charging speed(single maximum usb output up to 5V/2.4A, dual maximum USB up to 4A). Dual-port applys to all the 5V Android devices and apple devices. Note: This solar charger is not compatible with the iPad Pro.
- 👍High Conversion Efficiency: SunPower Solar Panels with higher solar conversion efficiency by up to 24%.4 carabiners allow you to hook your solar charger everywhere convenient to get solar access (trees, backpacks, vehicle, etc.). With compact size (11.1 × 6.3× 1.3in folded) and lightweight (21.0 oz) design, this folding solar charger is easy to carry for any outdoor activities such as camping, climbing, fishing etc.
- 👍Special PET Polymer Surface: Industrial-strength PET polymer fabric protects your portable solar panel charger and your devices from occasional rain or wet fog. IPX4 waterproof level, but the USB ports and ammeter are not water-resistant, so keep them away from water while using. The pocket with a zip will keep your devices safe and clean while camping.
- 👍Easy to Use: Please unfold four solar panels under outdoor direct sunlight( No cloud and no shadow), then connect your device to the usb port with your certificated cable. A micro usb cable is provided in our package and not included the lightning cable. Note: Please don't place the device inside the pocket attached when charging in order to avoid overheating then damage your devices.
This portable solar charger features a compact size, measuring 11.1 × 6.3× 1.3-inches when folded and 33.1 × 11.1× 0.2-inches when opened. It is also lightweight, weighing only 21.0 oz. The dual-port power applies to all the Android devices and some of the DSLRs by connecting the cable attached.
Note that you will need an extra cable for other devices. Featuring a built-in intelligence chip, this portable solar charger can detect your device to deliver its fastest possible charge speed and assure charging stably. Another nice feature is the PET polymer fabric, which protects the solar panel and devices from occasional rain or wet fog.
It comes with four hooks so that you can hang it on your backpack, trees, tent, and anywhere else. This solar charger comes with a 24-month warranty.
- 【High-Efficieny】The high-efficiency of its three solar Monocrystalline panels cell is based on SunPower Maxeon technology, that allows them to reach 21%-24% of conversion efficiency while providing enough power (up to 2.0A max per port or 3.0 A max overall)
- 【Advanced Smart IC Chip Technology】 Microchip support to detects the electronic devices plugged into the USB ports for fast charging two phones simultaneously under safe conditions as well as the prevention of overheating
- 【Portable and Foldable】The 6.3x 11.1x 1.06 inch (when folded ) small size and 17.3-ounce design that can easily squeeze in your backpack offers portability and simplicity, and the attachment hook makes it ideal for connecting to a backpack while you’re on the hiking or walking around town
- 【Dualable Design】The canvas surface and precision stitching withstand rugged for outdoor use and the PET polymer cover that guarantees IPX4 waterproof level protection will make the panels resistant to water and even dust
- 【Package】Nekteck 21W Solar Charging Panel, 2.6ft(80cm)Micro USB Cable, User Manual
This next portable solar charge is constructed with a 21 watts Sunpower panel. It provides enough power to charge 2 devices at the same time. Featuring a built-in smart IC chip, each port identifies your device and seeks to maximize its charging speed. Weighing only 18 ounces, this product is lightweight and easy to travel with.
In addition to being lightweight, it is also compact, measuring 6.3x 11.1x 1.06inches when folded and 26.3x 11.1inches when opened). The canvas is durable and damp weather will not damage the exterior of the solar charger. This solar charger comes with a 12-month warranty.
No products found.
No products found.
The Ayyie Solar Charger features a compass and two bright LED flashlights. The compass and flashlights are great for emergencies. It is made of durable ABS+PC+Silicone material. This portable solar charger is water-resistant, dust-resistant, and shock-proof. It can be used to charge your iPhone, Samsung, HTC, Nexus, Go-pro Camera, Tablets, and other USB devices.
This solar charger will automatically detect the charging requirements from your devices and provide max speed up to 2.1A per port. This portable solar charger comes with a 12-month warranty.
- Double Duty - Twin USB-A ports pump out a combined 24W—enough to provide a full-speed charge to 2 phones at once. (Not compatible with Qualcomm Quick Charge.)
- Ultra-Compact - The car charger’s super-small design conserves space, allowing seamless access to the rest of your dashboard.
- Heavy Metal - Finished with a scratch-resistant aluminum alloy surface to match even the most pristine vehicle interiors.
- Premium Components - Gold-plated circuitry reduces heat while charging to maximize charging speed and efficiency.
- What You Get - PowerDrive 2 Alloy car charger, welcome guide, our worry-free 18-month warranty, and friendly customer service.
This solar charger is equipped with 3 large solar panels. It can charge an iPhone 6 up to 10 times, a Galaxy S6 up to 6 times, an iPhone 7 for 9 times, a Samsung S7 for 5.5 times, and an iPad Air for 3 times or more. With 3 large panels, this solar charger has a charging speed of 20 to 26 hours. It can then charge your phone for up to 2 weeks.
This charger is dust-resistant, shock-proof, and can withstand splashes of water hitting it. There are two USB connections, which allows you to charge two devices at once. Another nice feature is the built-in flashlight that is great for emergencies. This solar charger comes with an 18-Months Warranty.
No products found.
No products found.
If you will be charging multiple devices with your portable solar charger, this product may work well for your needs. Instead of having two USB connections, it has three connections. All three USB connections are equipped with iSmart technology, which automatically detects and delivers the best charging current for connected devices.
It provides up to 2.4A per port or 4.8A overall when used under direct sunlight. It evenly distributes output current to all three USB ports. This ensures that every device gets charged evenly. Weighing in at 26.4 ounces, this portable solar charger is lightweight and easy to carry.
No products found.
No products found.
The iBose Solar Phone Charger features four solar panels and one 10.000mAh battery. It can charge your iPhone, iPad, smartphone, action camera, mp3 player, GoPro, Samsung, and GPS. This dual-USB solar power phone charger features a Smart IC technology, which will automatically identify your device and adjust its charging speed in order to prevent overcharging or short circuit.
The iBose portable solar charger has a built-in emergency flashlight with 3 lighting modes status (SOS, strobe, and steady). It also has five pilot indicators that show the status of the battery charger. A green light will turn on when it is charging by solar and a blue light will come on when it is USB charging. This solar charger also comes with a compass and a hook for hanging your charger. Overall, this is a great solar charger to consider buying.
- NEVER GO WITHOUT A CHARGE: Being stuck somewhere with a dead cell phone or tablet can be a nuisance at the least and a safety risk at the most. The TuffSpark USB solar panel charger uses 4 foldable solar panels & sunlight to produce immediate, electric energy to boost backup batteries, power banks & other electronics devises. Compact, highly-effective & convenient, our miniature solar panels are a necessity - particularly for travelers, teenagers & people who rely heavily on technology.
- GREAT DESIGN AND BUILD: Boasting four, flexible solar cells with a magnetic clasp, our portable solar panel charger can fold to 5.6" x 4" & is so lightweight & thin, you can carry it in a pant or jacket pocket without that awkward bulk. It can stand on its own or hang from the accompanying carabiners. Finalized with a solar panel USB port and cord, the TuffSpark reusable energy kit is perfect for outdoor activities like camping, fishing, backpacking, skiing, hunting or boating.
- HIGHLY EFFECTIVE AND POWERFUL: The TuffSpark USB solar charger is equipped with an intelligent control chip and continual 5 volt output to ensure no short-circuiting and auto restart function smart enough to detect and reconnect the charging device. The high-functioning solar cells are low-light sensitive and have an efficiency that can range between 21% - 25%. Exposure to direct sunlight will fully charge your phone battery within 2.5 hours while very low sun exposure may take up to 20 hours.
- PROTECTIVE ETFE LAMINATE: The TuffSpark phone and electronics pocket solar charger features a unique ETFE coating that is so durable and resilient, it extends the lifespan of our mini solar cells between 15-20 years under normal outdoor conditions. This fluorine-based laminate is self-cleaning, recyclable and safeguards this natural energy device against the elements like sand and dust and is also water resistant, weather resistant, and corrosion resistant.
- GO GREEN: usb chargers are incredibly convenient and user-friendly, renewable solar energy is a safe, eco-friendly and helps reduce the negative impact on the planet earth and is energy-efficient AND cost-effective - a win-win for everyone! This is a small solar charger and on some items (mostly older model phones or larger electronics items) there is a higher minimum charging current required. So on cloudy days or indirect sunlight, there can be a problem.
This portable solar charger features dual output USB Ports that are enabled to charge two devices at once. It features two bright LED lights that can be used as flashlights. It also features four LED indicator lights that show the battery status. This solar charger is shock-proof and dust-proof. It also has wear-resistant plastic and a metal hook so that you can hang it wherever you are. This portable solar charger comes with a lifetime warranty.
This portable solar charger automatically recognizes your devices to provide the best charging current input and speed up the charging process to minimize charging time. It features two USB ports and one Quick Charge port. The Sunpower cells of this solar charger convert up to 23% of solar power to energy. This product weighs 1.65 pounds and measures 10.4” × 6.3” when folded.
It comes with 4 eyeholes and 2 carabiners so that you can attach this portable solar charger to your backpack. The SUAOKI 28W portable solar charger features an IPX4 waterproof rate, which is resistant to spraying water and dust.
No products found.
No products found.
This portable solar charger can be used with the iPhone XR, XR MAX, XS, X, 8, 8plus, Samsung Galaxy S9, S9plus S8/S8plus, and all other USB devices. The solar power bank itself can be charged via power outlet in addition to being able to charge in the sunlight. This portable solar charger is made of premium ABS fireproof materials and premium lithium polymer battery.
It is IPX4 splash-proof, dust-proof, and shock-proof. Its equipped with USB and type C ports, two flashlights, and a compass kit. All in all, this is a great solar charger that is portable, inexpensive, and durable.
Final Thoughts On The Best Portable Solar Charger
Well, there you have it! An ultimate guide to choosing the best portable solar charger. I hope this article has helped you find a portable solar charger that will fit your needs. Portable solar chargers are good to have around as a backup for when your electric goes out, you’re out in the middle of nowhere, or you simply want to cut down on your electric bill.
As you can see, there are many options available, as well as a lot of considerations to keep in mind when shopping for the best portable solar charger. Hopefully, this article has helped you find a solar charger that will fit your needs. Happy shopping!
Last update on 2021-10-23 at 19:29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API