Do you enjoy camping during the fall and winter? While winter is such a beautiful time of the year to camp, it also requires the proper gear so that you stay warm. Choosing the right tent is very important when it comes to winter camping.
Thankfully, there are many 4 season tents available, which are designed for the cold weather and heavy snow.
If you are shopping for the best 4 season tent options, you have come to the right place. Today, we'll take a look at the best 4 season tents to consider buying, as well as a complete guide to choosing the right one. Hopefully, this shopping guide helps you choose a 4 season tent that will fit your needs. Let's get started.
Things To Consider When Shopping For the Best 4 Season Tent
While all 4 season tents are designed for the cold weather, many 4 season tents are equipped with special features. Because not all 4 season tents are made alike, it is important that you take the time to ask yourself some considerations. Below, let's take a look at the top considerations to keep in mind when shopping for the best 4 season tent.
1. What Time Of Year Will You Be Camping?
The first consideration to ask yourself is what time of year you plan on camping. 4 season tents are designed mostly for winter camping. Although they are often designed with features that allow increased ventilation and breathability, a 4 season tent will probably be too hot for summer camping. Therefore, it is extremely important that you consider what time of year you plan on camping. If you think that you'll be doing most of your camping during the summer in warm climates, a 1 or 2 season tent will probably work best for you. 1 and 2 season tents are made with lighter materials and are not designed for cold weather, which makes them perfect for the warm months of summer.
However, if you think that you may be camping during the fall, a 3 season tent may work better for you. Similar to 4 season tents, 3 season tents will keep you warm in cold weather. But unlike 4 season tents, 3 season tents are designed to be used in the summer as well. Also, they cannot handle heavy snow. Take the time to consider what time of year you plan on camping.
2. How Many People Will Be Staying In the Tent?
The next consideration to ask yourself is how many people plan on staying in your tent. If you plan on camping by yourself, a 1 person tent will probably work for you. But if you plan on camping with a friend or family member, you'll definitely want a 2 person tent. If you'll be camping with 3 or more people, a family tent may work better for you. Family tents are all designed differently, so some can fit only 4 people, while others can fit up to 10 or more people. Keep in mind that 4 season family tents can cost a lot more, but they are a great investment if you plan on camping a lot with friends and family.
In addition to considering how many people will be staying in the 4 season tent, you'll also want to consider how much equipment you plan on storing. If you will be packing a lot of equipment, it may be a good idea to buy a 2-person tent or even a 3-person tent. Therefore, you'll have plenty of room for sleeping and storing your equipment.
3. How Much Weight Do You Mind Your Tent Weighing?
Another consideration to ask yourself is how much weight you don't mind carrying. 4 season tents can sometimes weigh more since they are built with heavier materials. That said, if you shop carefully, you may be able to find a lightweight 4 season tent, and maybe even one that is considered an ultralight tent. Furthermore, consider how you plan on camping during the winter. Will you be hiking a long distance to get to your camping site? Or will you be able to drive right up to the campgrounds or maybe even be camping in your own backyard? If you will be hiking up a trail for many miles with your tent, you'll definitely want to invest in a 4 season tent that is lightweight and portable. But if you won't have to hike far with your tent, the weight of your 4 season tent may not matter as much.
4. Do You Want A Freestanding Tent Or Non-Freestanding Tent?
Another consideration to ask yourself is if you want a freestanding tent or not. Most tents these days are freestanding, which means that they don't require stakes to stand up. The benefits of having a freestanding tent include that you can move your tent around, the setup is quicker, and you can set up your tent on any surface without having to worry about your stakes not going into the ground. Freestanding tents still come with stakes and guy lines (guy lines are a tensioned cable designed to add stability to a free-standing tent), but your tent does not need the stakes to stand. The stakes and guy lines are only there to help support the tent and prevent it from blowing over in the wind.
While freestanding tents are the most popular these days, they do have some disadvantages. One disadvantage is that they can be slightly heavier and take up more room since they come with poles that support the tent. Nonfreestanding tents usually don't come with poles since they require stakes to stand up. Also, freestanding tents can sometimes cost more. Overall, freestanding tents are the best type of tent since they can be set up anywhere and can be moved around. However, you must consider what type of tent you would like before you start shopping for the best 4 season tent options.
Top Features Of 4 Season Tents
4 season tents have many important features. From snow skirts to rain-flies, these features allow your tent to stay warm during cold weather. Some 4 season tents also have the addition of ventilation windows and mesh panels so that you can use your tent during the summer as well. Below, let's take a look at the top features that you'll find in 4 season tents. Note that not all 4 season tents will have these features, but most will.
A rainfly is a waterproof cover designed to fit over the roof of your tent. This cover helps protect you from the rain and snow. Even though your first roof may help keep rain out of your tent, the rainfly helps seal your tent completely. Once it stops raining, you can remove the rainfly to get some ventilation or to stargaze.
Some four season tents feature vestibules. Vestibules provide an additional room to your tent for storing gear. You can also use the vestibule as a second sleeping room or a place to store your shoes before you enter the sleeping area of your tent. Some tents have only one vestibule, while others have two vestibules that extend out from each door. Vestibules are a nice feature, especially if you plan on bringing a lot of gear with you. In addition to vestibules, some tents have awnings. Awnings are just like vestibules, but they are usually not fully enclosed. Once again, some tents have more than one awning that extends out over the door of the tent.
Image via Pexels
All tents have doors, but the number of doors on tents can vary. Some tents have one door, while others have two. Usually, 2-person tents have more doors since more people will be entering and exiting the tent. Most doors have the option of you putting a screen or flap over them. A screen allows fresh air to come in without the door being fully open, while a flap prevents cold air and wind from entering your tent. Also, the type of doors on your 4 season tents is variable. Some doors have hinges, others zip open, and yet others roll up. The most common doors that you'll find on tents are the kind that zip open and the ones on hinges.
4. Guyout Loops
If you decide to buy a freestanding tent, you may notice that there are loops on the outside of the tent body. These loops are there for attaching guy lines. Guylines are a nice feature if you are expecting wind on your camping trip. As I mentioned earlier, freestanding tents also come with stakes in case you need them.
Some 4 season tents feature interior pockets. Interior pockets allow you to store small items like your phone, keys, snacks, flashlight, pocket knife, compass, phone charger, and camera inside the tent.
6. Interior Loops
Another feature that you may find on 4 season tents is interior loops. Interior loops can be used for hanging many items. The most common type of loop that you may find on the inside of your tent is a lantern loop. A lantern loop is usually located on the top of the tent ceiling and is designed for hanging a lantern. Some tents will also have loops on the tent walls for installing shelves. Shelves (called a gear loft) can be used for keeping small gear off of the floor so that they don't get wet.
Ventilation is one of the most important features of tents. The amount of ventilation can vary, but most tents have mesh panels in the ceiling, doors, and windows. Not only do the mesh panels provide ventilation, but they also allow you to have a view of outside. Mesh panels that are located at the top of the tent allow you to stargaze at night.
8. Snow Skirt
One feature that is only found on 3 and 4 season tents is a snow skirt. Snow skirts are basically a flap of material that extends out from the floor of the tent. This flap allows you to shovel snow on the skirt to seal the perimeter of the tent and prevent snow from blowing into your tent. The skirt can also help prevent the bottom of your tent from flapping in the wind.
Best 4 Season Tent Options To Buy
Now that we have taken a look at the considerations and features of a 4 season tent, it is time to start shopping! Below, let's take a look at the top ten best 4 season tent options available on the market.
- QUICK and EASY TO SET UP, one person can easily set up the tent with flysheet in less than 10 minutes.
The Hillman 3-4 Season backpacking tent is great for fall and winter camping. However, unlike other 4 season tents, this tent also works great in the summer thanks to its large mesh sections on the tent body. It is water-resistant, breathable, and made from high-quality materials. Keep in mind that although this tent is listed as a 4 season tent, it does not feature a snow skirt. Therefore, if you plan on camping in the snow, you may want to purchase a different tent. But for camping in mild winter conditions, this tent will work great. This tent is very easy to set up. One person can easily set it up in under ten minutes. It is also very lightweight, which is a feature that not all 4 season tents have. It weighs only 5.06 pounds.
This tent is large enough to fit two to three people. This is an advantage for couples, families, and those who simply want extra room for storing gear. It is fairly inexpensive for what you get, especially since 4 season tents usually cost more money. Overall, the Hillman 3-4 Season backpacking tent is a great option for fall and winter campers. Just remember that this 4 season tent does not feature a snow skirt, so don't plan on using it during snowstorms.
- Excellent 4 seasons tent: Snow Skirt enable for winter use. The mesh with small area in inner tent, enhances the thermal performance.
- Easy set up: dome tent with simple structure. One person first using this tent is able to set up the tent quickly.
- High quality : Waterproof, double stitching with tape sealed seams, anti-rain, aluminum poles, UV protection.
- Portable backpacking tent, Total weight : 5.9 lbs / 2.7kg. package size: 6.3 x 6.3 x 18 inches / 16 x 16 x 46cm. Floor: (23+59+23)x 83inches / (60+150+60) x 210cm. Height: 45.28inches / 115cm.
- 4-season, 2-person tent. suitable for hiking, climbing, camping in spring summer autumn and winter. very stable, able to anti-wind, anti-rainstorm, anti-snow and anti-sediment.
Featuring a snow skirt, this tent is designed for winter use. It has a simple structure, which makes this tent easy to set up. One person can easily set this tent up quickly without any help. The FlyTop 3-4 Season backpacking tent features waterproof, double stitching with tape sealed seams. It only weighs 5.9 pounds, so it is very easy to carry. It is a great option for backpackers who don't want to carry a lot of weight in their backpack. This tent is anti-wind, anti-rainstorm, anti-snow, and anti-sediment. This tent can fit two people and all of your gear. It has two doors, which makes entering and exiting this tent easier. Each door has two zippers, making opening and closing the doors much more convenient. All in all, this tent is a great option for winter campers who want a tent that is warm and easy to set up.
- 4 seasons Dome tent: suitable for spring summer Autumn and cold snow winter. Come with 3 fiberglass poles, 21 metal pegs and 6 ropes, very strong construction and stable to against wind, rain, snow etc.
- 3 person family tent: 6*7 ft. Inner floor, 7*9 ft. Whole tent, 3. 5 ft. Height, comfortable for 2 or 3 person sleeping.
- Easy to set up: one person can assemble/disassemble quickly with the installation video.
- Durable & high quality: 2500mm+ waterproof for flysheet and 5000mm (1000D polyethylene) for floor, all fabrics are fire retardant.
- Vestibule & clear window: with 3 feet vestibule for outdoor gear storage and weather protection. With Windows for ventilation and views.
The MoKo Waterproof Family Camping Tent features 8.5mm fiberglass poles, a water-resistant flysheet, and a 5000mm floor. All of the fabrics are fire retardant. This tent is very easy to assemble and disassemble. It comes with a carry bag so that you can easily store and carry this 4 season tent. Although this tent is called a family tent, it is actually only designed to hold 3 people. It measures 52" center height, 9x7 feet for the whole size, 7x6 feet for the tent size. This tent has windows for ventilation. It has inner pockets and a hook on the ceiling for hanging a lantern. It also features a 3-foot vestibule for outdoor gear storage and weather protection. Although the vestibule is not very big, it provides enough room for storing your equipment.
This next tent is very easy to assemble. It is a pop-up tent, which means all that you have to do is throw the tent in the air and it will automatically assemble itself. This tent is equipped with two doors and two windows, both of which are easy to access. Both doors can be completely open, closed with just the screen material, or sealed with the nylon door for total privacy. The windows also have screens so that you can get fresh air but not be bothered by insects. This tent is made with durable seams, sturdy zippers, and fiberglass tubes. All of the fabrics are environmentally friendly, breathability, and free of toxins.
This 4 season tent features storage pockets and a loop located on the ceiling so that you can hang a lantern. The tent comes with a carrying case for easy portability. Just as it is easy to assemble, this tent is also very easy to disassemble. After following just a few instructions, this tent can easily be folded. Another unique feature of this tent is that you can turn the windows into a rainfly by attaching guy lines to the loops below the window flap and secure them to stakes a short distance from the tent. This tent can hold 3 to 4 people, making this a great tent for families. Overall, the AYAMAYA 3-4 Person Instant Pop-Up 4 Season Tent is a great option for those wanting a tent that is inexpensive, large, and easy to set up.
The Naturehike 4 Season tent is made with anti-scratch 210T nylon mesh and features tent poles that are lightweight and can support heavy wind, rain, and snow. This tent is sold in the form of a 1-person tent, 2-person tent, and 3-person tent. All three tents are lightweight and easy to backpack with. It is also very easy to set up this 4 season tent. It takes less than 2 minutes to set up the tent with double flysheets. The tent packs down small and comes with an ultra-compact compression bags so you can carry it easily in backpacks.
This tent has double layers can be used for many ways of camping. During the fall and winter, you can connect both layers together so that you stay extra warm. During the spring, summer, and early fall, however, you can only use the inner layer so that it is cooler and ventilated more.
- Inner Tent is constructed from a LARGE PANEL of 210T highly breathable polyester for great cold-weather protection and dry weather views;Mesh roof and DOUBLE-LAYERED doors for HIGH-LOW cross ventilation and greatly reduces condensation,offering outstanding warm-weather performance
- This tent is designed to deliver years'service;TESTED and RELIABLE Water Resistance:FULLY TAPED Rip-Stop rain fly with 3000mm PU coating;TAPED BATHTUBE tent floor and carefully welded corners keeps you and your gear bone dry even in storm rain
- Multi-functional MESH GEAR LOFT not only offering handy storage for essentials,but also helping diffusing the light to create a comfortable and even glow through the whole tent when its empty;REINFORCED TENT CORNERS can sustain constant tension and pulling;SBS?zippers won¡¯t drive you crazy
- 2 VESTIBULES provides ample gear storage space;vestibule doors can be affixed to fully closed or partially open for ventilation and sun shade while maintaining gear coverage; Mesh layer of the doors can be opened ONLY FROM INSIDE ,this feature can stop naughty intruder and offer absolute privacy in wilderness ;Reasonable peak height for abundant headroom to sit straight
- Mesurements:Floor,55.1 * 82.6 in.;Peak Height,43.3 in.;Vestibule:8.7 sq.ft+6.8 sq.ft; Packed Weight:5.7 LBs; Accessories:2 guylines,12 aluminum stakes; FOOTPRINT is a must-have to increase a tent¡¯s life ;Best Use:Car Camping,Backcountry Adventures,Alpine,Backpacking;Please scroll down to get the designer¡¯s note for this version of Luxe Tempo Tent (footprint,sleeping pads and bags are for better presentation and are sold seperately)
This four season tent is constructed from a large panel of highly breathable polyester. The mesh roof and double-layered doors provide plenty of ventilation so that you can use this tent in the summer in addition to using it in the winter. This tent is water-resistant, as it features a durable rainfly, taped bathtub tent floor, and durable materials. This tent features two vestibules that provide storage space, as well as a mesh gear loft inside of the tent. The vestibule doors can be fully closed or partially open for ventilation. The mesh layer of the doors can only be opened from the inside of the tent, which prevents people and animals opening it from the outside. All in all, the Luxe Tempo 2 Person tent is a great option to consider purchasing.
- Floor size 96" x 120" Plus a front 36" Vestibule and back 12" Vestibule of additional storage
- 7.9mm aluminum poles, shock-corded, and easy, fast, speed-clip set up in almost any weather condition
- Two sets of double doors + cross ventilation with closures on all vents
- Includes stakes, rain cover, carry bag (16" x 8"). carry weight is 9.9 pounds
- Peak height of 66 inch
The Moose Country Gear 4-Season Backpacking Tent has a floor size of 96" x 120", as well as a front 36" vestibule and back 12" vestibule for holding additional storage. This tent is very easy to set up. It has two sets of double doors, and all of the ventilation vents can be fully closed. This tent includes stakes, a rain cover, and a carry bag (16" x 8"). The weight of this tent is 9.9 pounds. All in all, this is a great tent to consider using for winter camping.
- Rugged, single-wall expedition tent engineered for high-altitude camps with breathability and stability
- Single door and escape-hatch back door
- Floor Area: 27.3sqft
- Fabric: nylon ripstop, nylon, nylon mesh, polyester ripstop
- Weight: Total: 4lb 15oz; Trail: 3lb 4oz
The North Face Summit Series Assault 2 Tent features a single door and escape-hatch back door. This tent is made of nylon ripstop, nylon, nylon mesh, and polyester ripstop. The total weight of this tent is 4 pounds and 15 ounces. It has a removable vestibule. This tent is uniquely shaped like a tunnel and has enough space for sleeping and storing all of your gear.
- Lightweight two-pole design with aluminum poles for a quick, easy assembly
- Weatherproof tent fly resists water, UV damage and stays taut during all weather conditions
- Fly provides a vestibule over both mesh covered doors, offering extra storage and weather protection
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, mesh storage pocket, aluminum stakes and guy ropes
- Base Size: 5' x 8', Center Height: 40", Total Weight: 5 lbs. 6 oz., Minimum Weight: 4 lbs. 9 oz.
The ALPS Mountaineering Mystique 2.0 Tent features a weatherproof rainfly that resists water, UV damage and remains tightly stretched during all weather conditions. This aluminum two-pole design can be set up quickly and without much effort. The rainfly provides a vestibule over each mesh covered door. The vestibules offer extra storage and weather protection. This 4 season tent comes fully equipped with a mesh storage pocket, aluminum stakes, and guy ropes. The total weight of this tent is 5 pounds and 6 ounces.
- Made with Hydra-Shield, 100% cotton duck canvas that is durable, watertight and breathable
- Spacious 6'6" ceiling height provides walk-around comfort
- Two large D-shaped doors (front and back) with #10 YKK zippers
- Four large windows with no-see-um mesh
- Two funnel-flow vents help improve air flow and temperature management
The Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Deluxe 8-Person Tent is made with 100% cotton duck canvas that is durable, watertight, and breathable. It features a spacious 6'6" ceiling height that provides plenty of room to walk around. It has two large D-shaped doors, as well as four large windows with no-see-um mesh. The two funnel-flow vents help improve airflow and temperature management. Overall, this is a great tent to consider purchasing.
Final Thoughts On the Best 4 Season Tent
Image via Pexels
Well, there you have it. A complete guide to choosing the best 4 season tent. I hope this article has helped you find a 4 season tent that will fit your needs. A 4 season tent allows you to camp during late fall, winter, and early spring. Many 4 season tents have windows for ventilation so that you can also camp with them in the summer. Hopefully, this article has helped you choose the best 4 season tent for your needs. Happy camping!